2/24/09

Climbing Mountains and Chocolate Cake

Anyone who knows me knows that anything that has to do with sports, feet off the ground, REI, or wild movements, climbing mountains etc. are things or places where you would never find me. This is a person who has never in her life been on skiis (Oh, I did water ski once, and got up, too! but I digress--) Give me HOME, gardening, sewing, cooking, pleasant and graceful things that's where I am most comfortable. So, how in the world would I be diagnosed with a torn meniscus? It is the weirdest thing but that's where I am right now--waiting to schedule a surgery for this unexpected ailment. So, in keeping with my personality, and at home with feet planted firmly on the ground, I am sharing with you this most delicious, dense, moist chocolate cake that I made for the Oscar party Sunday.

Chocolate Sour Cream Cake
2 Cups sugar
2 Cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 oz Unsweetened Chocolate
1 c. water
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 beaten eggs

Grease or line two 9 inch cake pans or one 9X13 inch pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Melt chocolate with butter and water. Add melted chocolate mixture to flour and mix well for 2 minutes. Pour batter into pans and bake until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean, approximately 30 minutes. Cool on rack 10 minutes and unmold cake to cool completely before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 (8ox) pkg cream cheese
1/2 cup butter 1 tsp vanilla
powdered sugar to taste (about 2 cups)

Mix all together and frost cake.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Amber Filkins said...

Oh you poor thing! I'm so sorry! Hope everything goes smoothly.

And that cake looks to die for! Yum! I'll have to try it out. Thanks for sharing.

Amber

Sally said...

:(

I hope your surgery goes smoothly and that you heal fast.

Beth at Aunties said...

I am so sorry. I had a primo something was going on with you...
How weird is that? :-)
I too have had that same surgery in my right knee laproscopically.(sp) I have three small incisions.
I hope all goes well with your surgery and you enjoy a speedy and complete recovery.
I am recovering from a broken back and back fusion right now. We would make quite the pair of disabled :) We get really good parking places, especially on busy days at Costco!
I go to therapy at Tosh three times a week. There are many patients recovering from knee surgery who also go there. Where are you having your knee done?

The cake looks really DELISH!

Since my surgery I have added 20 lbs I am trying to get off.:(

Bless your sweet heart, I hope your cough is getting better before your surgery.

Hugs, Beth

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Hi Mom! I just want everyone to know how great that cake is! I don't like cake - but I make an exception for that one! So moist and delicious!!!

Thanks for making it!

XOXOXOXO
Jen

Marie Rayner said...

Ohh Jean, that cake looks fabulous! How I wish Todd liked chocolate cakes, as I would be making this right away. I daren't make it for fear I'd eat the whole thing though! (and we both know I don't need to do that!!!) Perhaps if someone put one of those on top of a mountain? That might be the way to go. lol I do hope your knee is sorted soon and that's not causing you too much pain in the meantime!

Beth at Aunties said...

I am meeting another blogging friend tomorrow for lunch. Are you up to going? I would love to meet you!
Please emali me at
c.annie77@msn.com

Hope you are doing alright!

Unknown said...

I have my fork and plate available. Is there any cake left?

Chrissy said...

That cake looks soooo yummy! I love chocolate cake! I'll have to try out your recipe. I'm usually lazy and just do a box mix!