If you have read the very popular book The Help by Katheryn Stockett you are familiar with Minny's famous Caramel Cake. Minny would make it for her friends that needed a little TLC or just to be neighborly. Our book club recently reviewed this wonderful book and then for dessert we had this Caramel Cake that I am just sure is just like Mini's:). How can it not be the most delicious thing you have eaten when it consists of 4 candy bars?! I hope you will enjoy it too.
Minny's Caramel Cake"Layer cake make with candy bars, frosted and drizzled with melted caramel. M-m-mmmm!"
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 5 egg whites
- 4 (2.15 ounce) milk chocolate covered caramel and nougat bars
I am linking up to Foodie Friday for this post. Please check out other delicious recipes and ideas at Designs by Gollum here.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8 inch round cake pans.
- Sift cake flour and combine with baking powder, and salt. Set mixture aside.
- With and electric mixer, beat shortening, sugar, and vanilla until fluffy. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to the shortening mixture.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into flour mixture then fold in chopped candy bars. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 20 minutes. Let cakes cool in pans for 10 minutes then remove from pans. Drizzle with melted caramel if desired.